The Carnegie Library, which was donated to the city by the Andrew Carnegie Corporation, is located at the east end of Thirteenth Street and is the only building remaining on that side of 24th Avenue still standing. The official opening was celebrated November 20, 1916. The building was built for around $10,000. At the time it was adjacent to the Harrison County Courthouse which was destroyed by a fire in the 1970’s. It has housed a library, sheriff’s department, and a maritime museum. The opening in the left side of the entrance stairway contained a time capsule which has been lost. The building is currently operating as the Gulf Coast School of Art – Youth Visual Fine Art School.
Address: 1300 24th Ave (Downtown Gulfport Historical District)
Accessibility: wheelchair accessible; accessible bathroom