The LaPointe- Krebs House also known as Old Spanish Fort is thought to be one of the oldest standing buildings in the Mississippi Valley. Joseph Simon de la Pointe, an Admiral in Bienville’s* fleet, was granted land by the French to build a residence. Hugo Krebs married de la Pointe’s daughter, Marie Josephe and acquired the property and maintained it as a plantation which produced commodities such as rice and cotton. The structure was owned and occupied by descendants of Hugo Krebs until 1914.
Historical Memory: * Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville (February 23, 1680 – March 7, 1767) was a colonizer, born in Montreal, Quebec, and an early, repeated governor of French Louisiana, appointed four separate times during 1701–1743. A younger brother of explorer Pierre Le Moyne d’Iberville, he is also known as Sieur de Bienville.
Address: 4602 Fort Street
Accessibility: Please click here for detailed information.