The Shaw Homestead in Picayune was built in the 1880’s by Bernard Dedeaux as part of the Homestead Act. Mr. Dedeaux lived there until he turned the property over to his brother-in-law, Jules Ladner. The home was originally a two-room cabin, but Ladner changed the cabin into a dogtrot, two cabins linked together by a covered breezeway and a detached kitchen.
When Hurricane Camille hit the Gulf Coast, in 1969, the home was evacuated by the fourth generation Shaw, Melvin Shaw. The home remained vacant until after Hurricane Katrina in 2005. It was donated to the Land Trust for the Mississippi Coastal Plain in 2006 and restoration efforts began.
Address: 1214 Barth Rd
Website: Shaw Homestead
Contact Phone: 601.795.7033