The Alice Moseley ‘Blue House’ was built in 1850. The walls are made of beaded board, and the floor is beautiful golden ‘heart of pine.’ The Gulf of Mexico is a block and a half away, and there’s almost always a gentle salty breeze blowing. This home is on the Historic Register and was Miss Alice’s beloved home. The home was the subject of a painting by Alice Moseley called, “The House is Blue, but the Old Lady Ain’t.”
Alice was a retired school teacher that became a folk artist and storyteller in her later years. She moved to Bay St Louis in 1989 and lived in the home until her death in 2004. After her death, the home became the Alice Moseley Folk Art & Antique Museum, but the museum has been recently moved, across the street and is now housed on the second floor of the historic Bay St. Louis Train Depot.
Fun Fact: When world renowned folk artist Alice Moseley, first laid eyes on 214 Bookter Street, it was love at first sight. She walked toward the front of the house, and, sitting on the top step of the porch, the 80 year old sat there quietly for a few minutes, took a long look at the depot and the live oaks across the street, and then began writing the check for her down payment.
Address: 214 Bookter Street
City: Bay St. Louis
Accessibility: privately owned residence; can be viewed from vehicle/road; point of interest only