Disability Connection


Ohr-O’Keefe Museum/ Pleasant Reed House

George Ohr (1857-1918) is the self proclaimed “Mad potter of Biloxi.”  His work was considered ground breaking during his time, and he is thought of as a leader in the modernist movement. The Ohr-O’Keefe Museum contains rare and uncommon items of George Ohr as well as guest exhibits. While visiting the Ohr-O’Keefe Museum of Art you can also tour the Pleasant Reed House.

The Pleasant Reed House was originally built between 1880 and 1890 by Pleasant Reed, an emancipated slave. He began work as a carpenter after the American Civil War and built his home with money he earned. The Homes’ style is a side hall shotgun house, a style frequently seen in New Orleans. The historic Pleasant Reed home was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina on August 29, 2005.  A replica of the cottage has been erected on the Ohr-O’Keefe museum property.



Pleasant Reed House
Pleasant Reed House


Address: 386 Beach Blvd

City: Biloxi

County:  Harrison

Website: georgeohr.org

Phone: 228.374.5547

Accessibility:  Click here for detailed accessibility features.