The 2014 Art Ability Fair was a great success thanks to partners, volunteers, schools, and sponsors, like you. Over 600 individuals participated including over 425 kids and adults with disabilities from 33 schools in 6 counties. Everyone enjoyed a free day of professional art instruction including: acting, costuming, make-up, photography, sponge painting, sand art, stencils and motif painting, hand-thrown pottery, wheel thrown pottery, and dance.
ACTIVITIES WERE PROVIDED BY THE FOLLOWING:
- Made a Western Box to take home their Pottery-MS Department of Rehabilitation
- Decorated a Photo Mat (refrigerator magnet) using western stickers and motifs-Walter Anderson Museum of Art
- Created Sand Art with George Ohr’s Pottery-Ohr-O’Keefe Museum of Art
- Had fun with Sponge Painting– Lynn Meadows Discovery Center
- Learned Western Line-Dancing-Island School of Performing Arts
- Selected a Costume for a Photo Session: Cowboy/Cowgirl or Indian Warrior/Indian Maiden
- Got their Professional Makeup for their photo session -Mary C O’Keefe Cultural Center
- Acted in character while their Photo was made by Professional photographers – Greg Wilson & George Guthrie
- Participated in a Video Production & Learned about horse safety – Horses Giving Hope
- Created Hand-build Pottery to take home-Studio G
- Learned about Wheel-thrown Pottery – O’Keefe Studio
Music (Singing), Instruments & Indian Storytelling
- Teachers Corner:
- Teachers picked up their Art & Photos and left some art for the Art Ability Fair art show
- Picked up Goodie Bags, one for each student and one for their school
This event is in its fifth year and is founded, organized, and hosted by Disability Connection, a 501 (c) (3) Nonprofit Corporation. The Art Ability Fair Art Shows will be hosted following the event by Lynn Meadows Discovery Center & the Knight Nonprofit Center. Additional donations were provided by Biloxi & Ocean Springs Walmart, Winn Dixie Orange Grove, ABC Rental, Rouse’s Ocean Springs, Starbucks, Negrotto’s Art Gallery, Kentwood Water, Gulf Coast Produce, Rex Distributing,Art with Heart, and Building Bridges International.
Publicity provided by WLOX, Sun Herald, Clear Channel Radio, Biloxi Bay Press, Ocean Springs Record, and others.
Volunteers assisted from Job Corps, Kohl’s, RSVP (Retired Senior Volunteers), VA Veteran Warriors, & LIFE of MS
This event is free to individuals with developmental disabilities 8years old through adult. To participate or volunteer for the 2015 event contact Disability Connection, 700 Pass Rd, Gulfport, MS 39501; www.DisabilityConnection.org; Office@DisabilityConnection.org; 228-604-4020
THIS EVENT HAS BEEN MADE POSSIBLE BY THE FOLLOWING SPONSORS
Thank you for all that you do in helping us create a connected community!