The Cathedral of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Biloxi is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Biloxi. It was designed by Theodore Brune, a German-American architect, who designed several churches on the Gulf Coast of Louisiana. It was built by J.F. Barnes & Company of Greenville, Mississippi in 1902.
The Late Gothic Revival architecture design was constructed after the original church was destroyed by the Great Biloxi Fire of November 1900 on the same site. Stained glass windows were donated to the church by Reis and Reis of Munich, Germany and installed by Frederick Thornley of New York. The cathedral was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
STAINED GLASS WINDOW RESTORATION: The five stained glass windows above and behind the altar on the north wall were installed in 1906. Others were installed between 1906 and 1943. The 24 major stained glass windows and 30 smaller pieces have brought peace, solace, and pride to parishioners and visitors alike. Due to the aging of the windows and their exposure over the years to storms and hurricanes, many of the windows required extensive maintenance to prevent their loss. In 2009 restoration efforts were completed.
Address: 870 Howard Avenue
Accessibility: ramps for wheelchair accessibility; accessible bathroom