The Shay Locomotive is a restored wood burning, gear-driven, train locomotive which was used for logging operations throughout the South. The Shay (one of the last of about 4,000 used) was used in Picayune from 1925 until the 1950’s and was given by L. O. Crosby, Jr. to the City of Picayune. Crosby who owned Goodyear Yellow Pine Company and Rosa Lumber Company, both located nearby, owned ten or fifteen of these engines during operations from about 1916 to 1939. This engine, produced in 1925 by the Lima Locomotive Works, Inc., was numbered 3281, and was produced on patents taken out February 18, 1908. These engines were wood-burning, getting fuel from scrap in the woods. The odd, inverted coffee pot smokestack was covered with a screen and designed to catch any sparks and thereby prevent forest fires.
On display with the Shay Locomotive is the bright orange M.O.W. (Maintenance of Way) railway equipment car. A track repair gang would pull the small orange flat car loaded with tools and materials out to a section of railroad that needed attention. M.O.W. equipment was painted in bright orange or yellow for easy visibility out on the railroad.
Address: Shay Park, 201 Highway 11 North
County: Pearl River
Accessibility: locomotive can be viewed easily from vehicle or from parking lot