The Stone County Courthouse was designated a Mississippi Landmark in 1996. Stone County was created by the Mississippi Legislature in 1916. One of the first acts by the new County’s Board of Supervisors was to award a contract for construction of the County Courthouse. The Courthouse was constructed by Standard Construction Company of Meridian, Mississippi. It was completed in March 1918 at a cost of US $29,515.18 (equivalent to $464,339 in 2015). Within the two-story structure, the lower floor was divided into county offices, and the upper floor served as the courtroom. Offices of the sheriff, tax collector, circuit clerk, and chancery clerk were once located on the first floor. The Courthouse was used continuously throughout the 20th century with modifications that included first-floor extensions on each end of the building.
Address: 323 East Cavers Avenue
County: Stone County
Accessibility: accessible ramps; accessible bathroom