Vernal Presbyterian Church is a historic church that sits on three acres in Lucedale, Mississippi. It was built in 1908 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. In 1850 the Vernal community, formerly Little Scotland, began developing at the crossroads of the Washington-to-New Orleans and Mobile-to-Natchez trails. It is recorded that on Saturday, Feb. 28, 1880 Vernal Presbyterian Church was officially organized. The church held its services under an arbor and then met at a school, The Vernal Male and Female Academy, until a church was built. By 1897 the manse (pastor’s home) was completed. In 2008 the Vernal Presbyterian Church held a 100th anniversary celebration.
455 McInnis Vernal Rd
PO Box 1622
Lucedale, MS 39452-1622
Directions: Drive two miles west of Lucedale on US 98 to Highway 63. Turn north on Highway 63 and travel approximately five miles until you see a sign with directions to the church. Turn left onto McInnis Vernal Road and follow the signs. Vernal isn’t far from the Chickasawhay River, which flows into the Pascagoula River.