The White House Hotel is a historical hotel dating back to the 1890′s. The Hotel was originally the home of Walter White, a Gulf Coast lawyer, and later a Circuit Court Judge, and his wife, Cora. While establishing his new law practice, Cora began accepting boarders into their home. As time went on, her side project became more and more popular to the point that she and her husband acquired the home next door. Eventually the property became a row of seven Victorian homes. Their next move was to join two of the buildings creating a lobby, dining room and ballroom; all with balconies adorned with huge columns overlooking the scenic beach. With the continued success of Cora White’s efforts, she and her two sons, Walter and John, teamed with architect George B. Rogers, designer of the Bellingrath Garden’s house in Alabama, to build two additions that are now the center and east wings.
Fun Fact: James Love, Jr., owner of Biloxi’s Buena Vista Hotel, acquired the White House property in 1940, modernized the buildings, and added a swimming pool. Business thrived until 1971, when the Love family sold the hotel, and it began a slow decline. In April 2013, the City of Biloxi announced that the White House Hotel had been sold to a Mississippi developer. Although closed for 30 years, the hotel was completely renovated and reopened for business on August 1, 2014.
Address: 1230 Beach Blvd (Hwy 90)(Located across from the beach)
Hours of operation: Open to the public for bookings and dining.
Accessibility: wheelchair accessible ramps; accessible bathroom; elevator